Monday, October 11, 2010

Weekend At "I Need Mom"


     I took a blogging break over the weekend. It wasn't intentional, I just couldn't fit it in with my real life. Saturday night I had a small dinner party. It was a relaxed, fun evening with friends. Our Illinois weather was perfect for drinks on the deck before dinner, I managed to get all the food on the table without burning anything and I think we all really enjoyed just having time to spend together. I will post a few recipes later in the week.

The Menu
Cheese Board
Crab Bites
Swiss and Bacon Toasts

Baby Greens with Dried Cranberries and Walnuts
Baked Potato Bar
Roasted Pork Loin
Fresh Green Beans
Rolls

Peanut Butter Cup Brownies
Caramel Apple Cobbler Cake with Ice Cream



I also wanted to share a very simple project that was completed this week. Using an inexpensive Wal-Mart lamp, white spray paint, brown stain and beaded trim...my lamp went from the above look to...


...something that matched my desk redo much better. The beaded trim actually has an aqua bead in it to go with the knobs on the desk. It is trim that has a sticky side and you are supposed to be able to just apply it by peeling off the backing. I did that and it looked great, for about an hour and then it all fell off. I used a glue gun to attach it the second time.

I am joining Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch for Met Monday and Mary @  Little Red House for Mosiac Monday today. Please take a moment to visit our wonderful hostesses.




Don't forget to sign up for my
GIVEAWAY!




21 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Your menu sounds so good! I can make a meal on just appetizers.
Like your lamp redo.
Have a great week.

La said...

Sue, how do I get invited to dinner at your house. Your menu sounds delicious. I like non-burnt food. :o)

Your lamp turned out wonderfully! La

Pondside said...

Nice lamp!
Your menu looks wonderful. It's too cold to do anything by go for a walk outside or clean out the garden beds up here now.

Thoughtfully Blended Hearts said...

Cute mosaic!!! Love the lamp redo!!!

Maria said...

Hi Sue!
It seems life takes on "a life of its own" !!!
Things are piling up at my house too... friendly visits, retirement party planning for my colleague, and other family things on the to-do list!
Love your lamp re-do! It's very pretty and you would have paid more than double for it finished!
Now you have exactly the color scheme you need!
Parfait! Perfect! Perfecto!

Have a great Columbus Day!
*blessings always*
Maria

SmilingSally said...

That CSN is asking all of us bloggers to host a giveaway!

Really Rainey said...

Your dinner party menu sounds amazing... My invite must have gotten lost in the mail. *grin* Your lamp redo it so cute. I really love the after!
Glad you had fun this morning looking at the Magic Eye on my blog... I love those too and remember the first time I "got it" and was so darn amazed! I went out and got the book. Any chance you are going to post the Peanut butter cup brownies????
Take care there...
RaineyGhoul

DUTA said...

Your friends are lucky to be invited to such a fine dinner party.
The lamp project is quite a success and reveals your talent and good taste.

Terri Smith said...

Ah Sue..I love the lamp! Felt sad for you when the pretty beading strip fell off..but what a great rebound idea. Turned out beautifully! Thanks for visiting earlier. Love it when finding you've dropped by! Hugs, Terri

bj said...

Wow, what a delicious sounding recipe. ummmm..

And, I am lovin' your new lamp look. Good job!!
Yep, you really should try the salsa..

dee dee said...

Sue,
Your menu is excellent! Wish I live closer... I would crash your parties!
The lamp is the perfect addition to your new desk! And you tell me your not crafty...!
Dee Dee

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sue, you fixed all that food by yourself? Sounds good and sounds like you had fun. Love the lamp redo.
Yes all that was in that bag. That bag is pretty big. I kept taking stuff to the counter and the lady had it all wrapped and bagged when I checked out.

Jacqueline said...

Your menu looks yummy and your invitation is so cute. I loved it. Hope you had some help. I also hope they all helped with the dishes.

The Tablescaper said...

Sounds like a wonderful evening! I too was so busy with real life this weekend that I didn't get to much blogging. Thanks so much for your visit and kind comments.

- The Tablescaper

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Beautiful results with the lamp Sue... I love what you created in that first image too... fab with the filmstrip of your images... clever girl...

Have a wonderful new week and thanks so much for your always kind comments.. xxx Julie

Julie@beingRUBY said...

woo hoo... i see your follower count!!! congrats..

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Hi Sue,
I sure am glad I can't gain weight just from reading because your menu sounds so yummy!
Cute lamp redo too, love the beads!
Cindy

xinex said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
xinex said...

The menu sounds terrific, Sue. I am sure everyone enjoyed it and had a lot of fun. The lamp looks great!..Christine

Relyn Lawson said...

I want to visit your house!

BrightenedBoy said...

I seriously want to come out there just to eat at your house.

It's good to take breaks from blogging sometimes. I view blogging like an artist might view his projects: real life inspires art, so without living art has no source.