There are many things I've learned the past few months, I thought I'd share a few.
1) I'm stronger than I thought I was.
2) We knew my mom loved to shop...we didn't know just how much. If you have tons of things in your closet with the tags on them...stop shopping!
3) I know I look like my mom...according to every friend of hers I met, I also have her mannerisms. I've yet to figure out what that means! Someone said I move my eyes the way she did. What?
4) Keeping the little notepads from the hotels where you stay...not a good idea. Imagine years and years of travel...need I say more?
5) I have lost "my person". I didn't see my mom all that often because of the distance between us. I talked to her many times a day, about everything. I still have things to talk about and my person is gone. That is the biggest struggle I'm having. No one listens like your mother does.
6) There is no reason to keep the shopping bags when you buy something you love. You are never going to use them and they take up lots of space.
7) I love my dad. I already knew that, but spending so much time with him was a gift.
8) Buying things in multiples is a good idea, buying things by the dozen...not so good. Does anyone really need a dozen pair of black pants?
9) Donating beautiful clothing to a shelter for abused women feels really good.
10) My sister and I make a great team.
11) It is okay to laugh even when the situation is sad and there is no reason to feel guilty about it.
12) It is hard to explain when people say I'm "doing so well". My first thought is "what choice is there" and truthfully, if I had to name my strongest feeling right now...it is gratitude. I'm grateful for the time I had with my mom, grateful I got to say goodbye, grateful that I have had time to help my dad, grateful that my sister and I got to spend a week together deciding who would take home what. It is a sad time, but we had more laughter than tears and I truly feel that my mother is guiding us all. I am a lucky woman.
Now, back to blogging. I am linking to Met Monday with our hostess Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch and Table Top Tuesday with Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life. We have been looking for a new chair for our living room for quite a while. Our sofa and loveseat are espresso colored leather, so I wanted something that would add a little "interest" to the room. We had a taupe recliner that we've had so many years that I remember sitting in it side by side with my little girl, who is now 25. It was long past time to replace it. Even the dog looks depressed sitting in it!
I wanted something fun, it had to go with the browns and also with the aqua pops of color that bring that beachy feeling to my house. I finally found the perfect chair. I just happened to find it in Florida! It is exactly what I didn't know I wanted, slightly funky, fun and perfect for us. Isn't it amazing how changing one thing in your home can change the entire feeling of the room?
Isn't it fun?
Of course a new chair meant I needed to update the centerpiece on the dining table. I hadn't touched the centerpiece since February, so it was time for something new.
After (and I do need to press the new runner today)
The vintage wooden vase I found at a thrift shop months ago for $4
The runner I just found at HomeGoods in Florida. I thought
was perfect with the new chair. I've had my little bird for a while.
It is good to be home and good to be back to blogging. I hope to start reading all I've missed today and will soon visit each of you. Please let me know if there is something I shouldn't miss.