Monday, February 8, 2010

Bedroom on a Budget-Met Monday

     We have spent the past few weeks giving our bedroom a makeover. It has been a bit of a challenge. I hate to admit that I didn't take before pictures. I've been writing about food and travel for several years, I always take pictures when cooking, eating or visiting new places. I'm not used to taking pictures when I move furniture around...so, you will have to use your imagination a little bit. The "after" pictures aren't perfect. I really just took them to send to my daughter for her opinion, but I decided to go ahead and share them today. I would have made the bedding more "perfect" if I had planned ahead!


     We have a king-sized bed that was handmade by my husband's uncle, 6 years ago. He is an amazing woodworker and he wanted each of his nieces and nephews to have a piece of furniture made by him. We asked for a bed and we asked that it be in a light colored wood as we know we will be moving south one of these days. He usually works with oak, walnut or cherry. We asked for pine, but he wouldn't do it. He said the wood was too soft. So, our bed is made of ash with a "pickled" finish. We also have a sofa table under the window and the frame of our beach picture that are the same finish. Matching other furniture to it is difficult. When we got the bed, we bought pine furniture to go in the room. We had a pine dresser, armoire and nightstands. It never looked right. The colors were just enough off that it always bothered me. The armoire was too large for the room and I just never liked the look. We also have a built in corner shelf to work around. It was built for a television set, but we like our bed on the opposite side of the room. So, I had to find items that would help tie the colors together for that shelf.


     A few weeks ago we decided to go look for a dresser and chest to replace what we had. We talked with the designer at the furniture store and her suggestion was to pull in various woods, not trying to make things "match". We noticed that many of the pieces we were seeing had very straight lines, with very simple designs. It dawned on us that we had a bedroom set that belonged to my grandparents tucked in a bedroom in the basement. The set is cherry, it is about 60 years old and had a very shiny finish. The pulls were brass with ornate plates behind them. My husband refinished them (painting wood is something he is allergic to) and we changed the pulls to pewter. I think they turned out surprisingly well. New would have been more fun, but we saved a couple thousand dollars by "shopping the basement".


     The next issue was what to use as bedside tables. I thought about looking for old luggage to stack next to the bed to try to tie in the dark furniture with the light furniture. I also wanted to look for new bedding that would pull some of the dark color to the "bed side" of the room. My husband didn't like the idea of stacking old luggage, he didn't think it would be sturdy enough for lamps, coffee cups etc. We were thrilled when we found end tables that looked like luggage, but aren't. I found bedding that pulled in the dark brown and still had the turquoise from our picture above the bed. I need to add a few things to the walls, they seem very bare right now. Anyone have suggestions? Overall...it isn't too bad. Our expenses were the pulls and supplies to refinish the furniture, the bedside tables and the bedding (on sale at Macys). It is certainly a mix-match of furniture...but it actually works pretty well when you see it in person.


     The pine dresser moved to the guestroom to live with the matching pine bed. The pine armoire is in the basement room that is going to be my dish room!

     I'm linking this to Met Monday. Our hostess Susan @ Between Naps on the Porch will have lots of wonderful projects to show you. The others will even have "before" pictures...they are better at this than I am!

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks GOOD, love the bedding and that trunk end table. GOOD JOB!

Unknown said...

Hi Sue! I think you did a fantastic job re doing your room. I am one of those people who change their bedding with the season and that's usually enough for me... however, I am going to totally re arrange my room next month! I have a king size bed so there isn't a lot you can do with a bed that big and a small room... I love the cozy, yet not crowded look in your room... And for me, that is going to be getting rid of the armoire too. Its big and boxy and the look is outdated. Thanks for the inspiration! I LOVE IT!
~Rainey~

nannykim/ spindlecottage said...

HEy, where was your header pic taken? That is so pretty!!! I love the new bedside tables--they are tooooooo coooooooool!! Also I like that picture above the bed--makes me want to relax!

Blondie's Journal said...

What a fabulous job you did, Sue. I like how you tied the darker wood in to the lighter. Sometimes you have to do that. I have pastel furniture in my living room, but wanted to have contrast with darker wood and it works!!

I love the bed. It really looks custom made. And I love the bedding. Perfect for this time of year and again, contrast with the ash.

Where on earth did you get your bed side tables that look like luggage. I LOVE them!! I don't need any but just maybe...

Everything looks great! :-)

xoxo
Janie

Shellbelle said...

As someone who has never cared for the matching furniture look, I love how you mixed the wood. I know if works, because that's just how it is at my house. I tend to buy pieces I see and fall in love with and it just all comes together somehow.

Love the little vignette up in the corner and those bed tables are fabulous. I would love to own one of those. I have three vintage suitcases stacked on my hearth that I store family photos in, so you know I again love the look.

I know this will surprise you, but the picture above your bed doesn't seem to fit. Is it just me or the lighting? Love the pic, of course, but looks out of place. Maybe you just need to move this way sooner! lol

Sue said...

Rhonda-I know...what you can't see is that the jar on the dresser if full of shells and there are other beach pictures in the room. We bought that print-signed in Key West and it actually went in our living room at our last house...over the fireplace, it was perfect there. We have another nice print in the living room here...also beach, but less turquoise. It is a different shape and I'm not sure it would work over the bed.

When we bought this house, I bought all cottage look furniture. The pine in the bedroom, floral couch and loveseat in the living room with cream shuttered tables...shells etc. I actually bought the front window from the furniture store. I was really stressed at the time. I found that for me...living with floral sofas made me insane. So, a year ago we switched the look. I bought expresso leather sofa and loveseat, dark coffee and end tables and added color with pops of seafoam (beach glass, pillows, shells). It is much better for me. We also added some metal and wood for texture. The bedspread before the new one was deep turquoise, and the picture was great with it. The floral in the new one, and the bedskirt are the color of the matting...I don't know. My living room/dining room and kitchen are all one big open space. We have very few walls. I want to keep the picture I love, but I want things to blend well. I appreciate the honesty...I've been stewing on that one myself.

Sue said...

nannykim-the picture was taken at Cheekwood Gardens in Nashville...in warmer weather.

Janie-they are Ashley tables, we bought them at an area furniture store (not an Ashley store). They are actually living room end tables and they had a trunk coffee table to match.

Gypsy Heart said...

Hi Sue,
I'm one that doesn't go for matchy-matchy at all. I'm more electic with traditional and a lot of funky! You've done a great job, however, I agree re: the pic over the bed. Is there another wall that you could use it on so you could enjoy it? Perhaps look for something larger for that wall to really make a statement or even a grouping. With a king size bed, it's my thought that the space over the bed be decorated to coordinate size. Now, you know I'm not a designer don't you? ;-) The colors are warm and inviting. I like to change mine with the seasons too. I just know that sea glass is gorgeous!

Have a wonderful day my friend ~

xoxo

xinex said...

Looks very good, Sue, ahd I really like the book table..Christine

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design said...

Hi Sue, great job on your room re-do! The basement furniture looks great not to mention thrifty! Those end tables are a great find! Have you ever considered painting the current matting on your picture? Matting takes paint very well and the turquoise would be a thing of the past! Just a thought...
Michelle

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very nice! The only thing in my home that matches is the sofa and loveseat, and the washer and dryer. :-)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

I like it Sue, the furniture is quite lovely! Shopping the house is always the way to get things going and you have done a wonderful job! Cindy

dee dee said...

Sue,
what a great re-do! I love the handmade bed, truly a cherished blessing! Shopping your basement has seemed to really pay off...love your hand-me-downs! Great side tables and beautiful bedding! Dee Dee

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Great job, Sue, and I love the fact that you not only have the bed your husband's uncle made but also the grandparents' furniture in there as well. How neat! And I want to come shop YOUR basement!!!

XO,

Sheila :-)

J Rodney said...

Your bedroom looks like the perfect place to escape Sue, so uncluttered and cozy. The beach painting of course pulled me in immediately, and I think you did a great job.

J Rodney said...

BTW I love your photo on top of the Page. How did you get it up there?

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Hi Sue
I love your custom made bed.. How lucky to have a craftsman in the family... the trunk/bedends are quite clever.. same look as stacked trunks but sturdy..

Well I have to agree with Rhonda about the pic... it is too light maybe... although it would be an expense... something old world sailships could be good and would match in with your steamer trunks... I'd say check out the junk shops for big framed art or prints.. you never know!

Great job pulling it all together and 'shopping from the basement' .. excellent!! haha xx Julie

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Sue, this looks great my friend...Oh girl I love that trunk table wow!! What a special bed you have there and YES I enlarged to see the Ice box...Oh girl that is so cool I have never seen one until now I know you don't beleive that but I have seen the stove before...Don't let anyone talk you out of that girl as samplar's cost more than the real thing now days...As there were not as many made and alot of times ended up in the kids toy box and were ruined and that one looks to be in great shape...Hope all is well in your world today my friend...Loved seeing your bedroom...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Holly Lefevre said...

It looks lovely...You did a really great job on it. One of my many projects for this year is our bedroom...it always turns out to be the hodegpodge room. We got a new mattress so maybe that will inspire me.