Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Beach and Blue


     I have been on a bit of a break from "tablescaping" but when my dad was bringing his girlfriend (there has to be a better word than girlfriend for people in their 80's) for a few days last week, it was a good excuse to set the table! We decided to grill out because we weren't sure what time they would get here, so I opted to keep the table simple and comfortable.


     I thought the beachy theme was perfect for them since they live in Florida. Plus, I love the bright colors in the salad plates and continued them through the rest of the table. The table runner actually has a large shell on each end, but you can barely see it in the pictures. The salad plates and the water glasses are both HomeGoods purchases. The plates are 222 Fifth and the pattern is Beach Stripes. I love how each plate is different.


     My water pitcher was a surprise gift a few days ago from my oldest (not in age) friend. She literally dropped by my house carrying a box, said she thought of me when she saw it and had bought it a while back. Then she left! This wouldn't be all that odd except she lives in North Carolina and was on a quick visit to our hometown which in near here. I not only love surprises, I love the pitcher! She was right, it is perfect in my house.


     I kept the centerpiece very simple and low. I think ornate centerpieces are much prettier, but not easy to talk over or around. I sprinkled a few water colored pebbles, added some shells and a trio of mini Crate and Barrel vases with flowers from the yard. Mercury glass votives added a little glow.


See the fish on the tumblers?


The seahorse platter (plastic) was another HomeGoods purchase.



Cream napkins match the runner, seaglass colored
napkin rings and my every day flatware finish the table.



     Dinner was grilled chicken, spinach salad, grilled vegetables and the first sweetcorn of the season. For dessert I made a lemon pound cake with whipped cream and blueberries. I'll post that recipe soon.




Dinner was a relaxed meal at home,
a good way to catch up and enjoy the company.

I am joining Kathleen @ Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish!
How lucky for me that my first time to join it is Beach Week!
and
Tablescape Thursday

Please visit these lovely ladies!

21 comments:

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Looks delicious!! Both the food and the table!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

A pretty and fun table setting!!
Dinner looks and sounds yummy. That was a nice surprise and gift from your friend.

Barbara F. said...

Such a fun and pretty table. What a nice friend to be thinking of you. xo

Nellie's Cozy Place said...

Hi Sue,
Love your beachy table. The color are wonderful and such a lovely table.
I am with you about the low centerpieces. The bigs ones look great but definitely impede conversation. Hard to talk when you can't see someone!! lol
and my son will literally move it if it get in his way..........

all the food looks wonderful and colorful as well. You created a very relaxing yet colorful and fun
atmosphere, perfect for a first time meeting..........

Blessings hon, Nellie

Leigh Powell Hines said...

very lovely!!!

Blondie's Journal said...

This is such a pretty table, Sue! Perfect for summer! I love the plates...I think I need a visit to Homegoods! The pitcher is fabulous, what a sweet friend!

I did get to see the pictures from the wedding post, I just didn't have a lot of time to leave a comment. Everything looked wonderful! I wish the bride and groom many years of happiness!

XO,
Jane

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a great pitcher! Love your beachy table. How about "lady/gentleman friend" for the older generation? I think it has a rather sweet and mature sound to it.

NanaDiana said...

Oh- How sweet- I'll be your Dad (and his girlfriend) were just thrilled. Hmmm...maybe Gal Pal? Arm Ornament? Florida Female? lol I guess you'll have to stick to girlfriend, huh?

Table and food all look wonderful- xo Diana

Marlis said...

His companion? LOl it is a problem isn't it. I am sure they were honored by your table. I love the striped plates and the round placemats and the perfect centerpiece. Just love your style. xo marlis

Ricki Treleaven said...

How adorable! This is seriously one of the most festive beach-themed tables I have ever seen. LOVE it!

dee dee said...

Sue,
Did you save me any? Your spread looks fantastic!
dee dee

bj said...

I LOVE this beautiful table. The colors are awesome and your centerpiece is perfect. The food looks sooo good.
I know Dad and Girlfriend loved it all.

One of my close blogging friends died this week...and I am blessed that in her last email to me, (I posted it today), she told me she loved me. I feel so blessed that she did that for me.
Being the age I am, I, like eve5ryone else, could go at any time so I just wanted to say, I love you, Suz.
You are a bright spot in my blogging world and I am better for knowing you.
O, and another good word for a 70+ lady friend is TOOTS. :) That's what my uncle called his and they were in their 60's.

Marigene said...

Love your beach table, Sue. It is so sweet that your father has a lady friend.

Patrice said...

Oooohhh, my favorite colors - beautiful job, as usual!

Jacqueline said...

Stunning color combination. Your aqua is so vibrant! I just loved the table and the food sounds great too. I haven't had any corn yet. Sounds so yummy!

Kathleen said...

Hi Sue! So good to see you at Let's Dish!
Very pretty table, love the colors and those plates are great!
Dinner looks good too!
Hope you will join in again when you can!

CJ Foss said...

Your table looks beachy, fun, and joyous. Love the greens and blues. Your salad looks yummy, and the perfect compliment to your beach themes. Thanks for sharing. ~CJ

Ann @ Corner of Plaid and Paisley said...

Very nice! The food looks delish!!

Monica @ Happily Playing with Dishes said...

What a fabulous pitcher to go on your beautiful table.

xinex said...

Ilove your beach table, Due. Such pretty dishes. I forgot to add glasses on mine, lol....Christine

Natasha in Oz said...

What a gorgeous table! What a yummy menu too. I bet your dad and his friend enjoyed it...I agree...girlfriend sounds a little strange!

Hope all is well and that you are enjoying those lovely warm summer days!

Best wishes for a wonderful weekend,
Natasha in Oz