Friday, September 2, 2011

Simple Fall Salad

     The temperature may still be 100 degrees this week in Illinois, but the apples are on the trees, the calendar says September and I'm starting to crave fall weather, colors and foods. Last night I wanted a light dinner, so I made a very easy salad that was pretty enough for company. I opted to not add any meat to the salad, but thinly sliced chicken breast or grilled steak would be a delicious option.


Ingredients:
3 T.olive oil
2 T. vinegar (cider, white or any fruit flavored vinegar-I used a white peach balsamic)
1 T. honey

1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tart apple cored and thinly sliced
mixed baby greens (I used one of those plastic cartons from the grocery store)
1/2 cup toasted walnuts (almonds or pecans would be fine)
goat cheese

Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and honey. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the dried cranberries. In a large bowl mix the sliced apple with the baby greens (don't forget to wash the greens even if they say pre-washed)!


     Pour the cranberry dressing over the greens and toss gently. Place salad on serving plates and top with a few of the toasted nuts and globs of goat cheese (that is my technical cooking term). Enjoy!


I decided to show you how it looked plated.
I didn't make it pretty, just our everyday plates and ready to eat.



I am joining Michael @ Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday.
Make sure you head over and see all that wonderful food!

11 comments:

Pondside said...

That looks and sounds yummy. I appreciate your insistence on using the correct culinary terms - globs works for me!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Yum! Can I sub globs of another cheese instead of the goat cheese - please? :-D

bj said...

Yumo...sounds really good and it is a beautiful salad.
It's been some cooler here, too..early mornings are wonderful.

Barbara F. said...

Sue, I love this salad, and I love the new seasonal decor of your header and background, I have to get rid of the lilacs! xo,

xinex said...

Looks yummy, Sue!...Christine

Linda said...

Looks yummy...we do one similar...just use spinsch and blue cheese or feta cheese too. I love all the Fall on your header and background...can't wait until the temps come down a bit here...but the nights are getting cooler!

Anonymous said...

I belong to that category of people who eat to live, not the other way round. So salads are an important part of my menu.

I'll add an egg or cheese to the veggie salad , but I'll probably skip the cranberries, the honey, and the nuts to make it more simple and save me some work.

Your photos are a great and relevant addition to your post.

Red Couch Recipes said...

Sue, this is really my favorite kind of salad, the fruit, with the nuts, and the feta. Yum! Joni

Bill said...

I'm not even hungry right now, but this salad looks enticing, Sue! The "added attractions" move this one from merely healthy to something approaching guilty pleasure territory!

Hope you have a fun weekend!
Bill

BrightenedBoy said...

I'm ready for the Fall weather now, too. This region is known for its heat but we're slated for highs in the 70s all week.

It's not usual for it to be so cool here already.

koralee said...

All I can say is bring on Fall..and why is our weather getting HOT again...I am soooo done with Summer. xoxox