Friday, May 28, 2010

Vanilla Crack-Foodie Friday


     I really wish I could take credit for this recipe, but I can't. Not only does it taste absolutely yummy (my son thought it was peanut brittle), it is very easy to make and the name makes me laugh. I actually found this recipe in the book Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne Fluke. I've read all of Ms. Fluke's Hannah Swensen murder novels. They are a light, easy read and the main character owns a bakery. Each book is full of delicious recipes woven into the storyline. If you like to read books that aren't too deep yet have a great mystery and also are full of wonderful recipes, check out her website and find a few of her books to read.
Ingredients:
Saltine Crackers (about half a box)
2 sticks salted butter
1 cup white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup salted nuts (I used a full cup of mixed nuts, but you could use peanuts or even leave the nuts off and this would still be good)

     Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 10 x 15 jelly roll pan with foil and spray heavily with Pam.


     Cover the pan completely with a single layer of Saltines, salt side up. Break crackers to fill in the spaces. Set aside. Combine butter, sugar and vanilla in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a full boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for exactly 5 minutes stirring the entire time. Pour over the crackers (I spread the caramel out a bit to almost cover all the crackers) and sprinkle with the nuts. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and cool completely in pan on wire rack if possible.


When cool, carefully peel off the foil and break into pieces.
Store in airtight container.


     I am linking to Foodie Friday @ Designs by Gollum. Our hostess Michael will link you with some of the best recipes in all of Blogland.

13 comments:

Shellbelle said...

Now you know this is the kind of "crack" I could become addicted to! (You know someone was going to say it and since I'm here first, I thought I'd get it out of the way.)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Oh my my that sounds yummy. I would probably eat way too much. Thanks for the recipe.

Decor To Adore said...

Oh yum! Do you happen to have an extra plate?

I hope you'll stop by and see my video for a French Macaroon video. There are bloopers. :)

I am also hosting a giveaway for a French Basketeer tote.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

This sounds like such a yummy little treat! I am putting this in my favorites!
Yummy!!!!!!
I always look forward to your posts!
Yvonnne

dee dee said...

Wow! this one sounds as yummy as it looks!
I'm always looking for a new book to read and just love a good mystery! Thanks for sharing ...
Dee Dee

Gypsy Heart said...

Looks delish! I do love mysteries...will need to check on her books. I hope you have a relaxing weekend.

xoxo
Pat

JUST ME said...

Now THAT is a recipe I can afford.

I can make it as a dessert following my white trash chicken: baked chicken with ritz crackers and pita chips.

I should have my own poor person cooking show.

Life Laugh Latte said...

That's not nice...I'm trying to be good today:) My mom would love those books! She reads cookbooks like they actually are novels. Glad you enjoyed the puppet video. Haven't spent much if any time on the blog. End of the school year always keeps me so busy. Glad you are doing well, and wish you were my neighbor so I could come over and eat some Vanilla Crack! Holly

Joyce said...

I made a similar recipe years ago and found them to be very addictive. I am going to make this for sure and wish I had a piece right now for a sugar rush:-)
Joyce

Glennis said...

Oh, my god. Those sound delicious!! I wonder if they would be just the perfect sinful thing for a potluck I'm going to this weekend.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

This sounds wonderful -- and you're the second person who're recommended this to me -- I'm going to have to try this.

Maria said...

This is non-stop JOY!
so easy too, Sue!
Thanks for passing this along!
Wow
~Maria

Miss Jewish Princess said...

This is a great recipe! I've made it with crushed cornflakes instead of crackers, and my coworkers loved it! I tried it with crushed potato chips to, also great. My fiance loves it with chocolate chips on top instead of nuts.